19 January 2010

Resolutions, Realizations, and....Goofy


I have a cute story to share about Hopie during our stay-over. We were blessed to go to Disneyland and while we waited in line to take a picture with Goofy, Hopie tried to go up out of turn. We had to remind her to wait, while we were in line. Finally the time came where she could go up and touch Goofy. Mind you, Hopie loves animals. She's always the last after all have left to be petting the dogs or cats. So she gave Goofy a Hug and he bent down as she touched his face, and looked him in the eyes, and petted his nose. We took the picture and she continued to stay with him as he stood. She hugged him again and grabbed his hands, Goofy never leaving her gaze. She hugged him lastly, one more time and said, “Do you remember me?” as if because she watched his cartoons and she had his plastic Goofy doll, he should remember her. I honestly could see a moment that shed light beyond that Costume into the heart of the person behind it. His hands dropped to his side as he fell to his knees and wrapped his arms around her. She smiled and skipped away as if all was at it should be.


Disneyland
Disneyland



I tell ya, this kid!
I tell ya, this kid!

One of my resolutions this year is to take time to grow the things in my children that take time. If I am being competitive, for example, then my children will learn competitiveness. If I am being generous perhaps, then my children will live out generosity. I think that we often have natural inclinations to do well at certain giftings, obviously, and when those giftings shine, they cast shadows over the other areas that will never have light to grow and build. Sometimes God is shining a light on an area, and so steadily we move a couple of inches over, so that the light can show on an area that is well built and strong. 'See how good I am doing, Lord! This is the blessing you have called me to do. Aren’t I a blessing, Lord?!'
But the Lord has shown me that I am to ask Him for my next orders. The very thing I am doing may be wonderful, and Holy, yet, it’s not the thing that God is asking of me at the moment. He’ll bless it, yes. But he wants our obedience to his call. He waits, and shines light; do we answer or do we move a few inches over? Yes, it’s hard, the things that he asks. I believe and know it! But I think we make life so difficult, when we answer to many other calls, and not the voice of our Father.
I believe we have short comings because we never learned to build them, they are weaknesses. But if I, as a parent, learn to take time to teach my children, certain character, even if I fall short in these (which I most likely do!). Each one will be well rounded and rich in character. It takes time. I am constantly learning this.


Charis, the Princess
Charis, the Princess

No comments: