16 March 2012

Lamppost to Lamppost



Sometimes, I’m in the moment. I’m not looking back, I’m not looking forward, I’m merely doing what has to get done. Whether it’s sitting in the middle of a mountain of clothes, or picking up the same toys that I had just picked up earlier in the day- I stay focused on the task.
And a lot of the times, this is what it can be like to begin your training with running. 
When you first start out, you have got to have a will beyond yourself. If your physical capacity out-matches your will, you probably won’t make it very far, but if your Heart and Will surpass your exhaustion, You will be able to keep going... eventually. 
As a marathon runner, I always tell people when they say, “I just don’t run, I can’t run very far, I really hate running!”, this: “If you give yourself longer than a week, if you learn to think bigger than yourself, and get past that first 20 minutes of pain, You will do amazing.” I hear it takes ’21 days to create a habit’; You have got to keep going. Not to mention, the long term habit is so beneficial for your peace of mind too! Especially being a Mom-Newsflash- it’s DAILY.
If you have taken time off, it’s always a challenge to bring it back to a flowing river. What you used to be able to do, isn’t always there when you return. You have to work at it. Whether just beginning for the first time, or returning to that love and challenge of Running. 
And on the other hand, it isn’t the wisest to start out super fast or take on long distances either. You will either give up altogether quickly, or bring on an injury faster than you can say, ‘pass me my Gatorade’.
Running is a conditioning. It’s a patience. Sometimes a Love/hate. But Patience altogether.
Khalid Khannouchi is nearly the fastest marathon runner in history with a time of 2:05. (2:03 being the record) He says,"It's a combination of discipline, hard work, harshness of weather. The most difficult part is keeping your focus for a long period of time. 
"[Long term Runners] seem either to be training or getting ready for the next workout. You wake up every morning and you know what you have to do. You have long mileage to accumulate. Sometimes you're already tired from your last two or three workouts. You still have to wake up, have the motivation and go outside and do the training. It makes it hard if the weather is really bad.”

Personally, My family and I just returned from the mission field to have a baby. It was a life or death kind of pregnancy, yet God carried us the whole way, letting us know that he was there the whole time, and to stand Strong. We have a beautiful,happy baby boy named Cruz who is delighted with Life at nearly 7 months now. We are so blessed with God’s Promise and Gift of I AM with you. He never leaves us.
 And now I am back to “hitting the trails” again. Looking to the next Marathon in a few months time.  When I first started out, I had to refute the voice that said, “You can’t do this again!” “You won’t do this again.” “Look, you’re tired at such a short distance!, Give up!” But, I had to look back on what I KNOW, and keep moving. With each new step, I was relinquishing the ropes of fatigue, and taking baby steps forward. Just a little bit more.
Often, as a runner, you have to keep looking up, and telling yourself, as you’re trudging along, “If I can just make it to the next Lamppost...” you’ll feel such a reward of continuing. And slowly but surely, You come to that iron pillar, and know you can take on another one. You just have to endure... 
 When we look at this thing called Life, I am sure you are drawing some parallels with me. We see that life isn’t all about a fast pace, but an endurance. Sure, sometimes, we are racing the wind,or we stumble, or even sometimes, most times, we are competing with snails, so in any contest, we can see the most important factor is not how many Begin the competition that we have trained for, but to simply do it,  And complete it!

In the dictionary definition, Lamppost is defined:  A post (generally a pillar of iron) supporting a lamp or lantern for lighting a street, park,etc. This is like our God. When we are weak, or even some times feeling a bit mighty-like, we continue, so that very soon, we will know that Glow that is coming. We Look Up to Him- that Light,Our Strength, that lights our paths. When weather is dark and stormy, not until you are under it, can you See. When times are lonely and grueling, He is always there. When we are in pain and want to stop, and feel hopeless, He is there to lean on. For it’s his Grace and Mercy that takes us through. When we are hearing the venomous spews of the enemy, We look up. “Your word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.” Psalm 119:105
The Spirit, the Encourager, will softly whisper in those secret places of our heart,“You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what He has promised” Hebrews 10:36. How exciting! 
Late in life, the Apostle Paul declared, "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness ..." 
(2 Thes 4:7, 8)
And also, Jesus said "He that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved." Matt 24:13. Keep going Friends, stand your ground, or better yet, run your course. Endure this hardship. Laugh with Joy at the days to come. Because you know that the Spirit will be there, as you make it, Lamppost to Lamppost.

Moms, many times, we are stuck in those moments of just trying to stay above water. This big ocean engulfing us, while we doggie paddle through it. Just be encouraged that we are All going through it. Everybody's trying to make it. Sometimes we can do our best, and sometimes we can barely get out of bed. My question to you is, " Who can we cling to ?" He is always ready. He never sleeps.  

In Jesus, 



He will not let your foot slip-He who watches over you will not slumber 
Psalm 121:3

Please Check this out: http://www.godvine.com/Christian-Athlete-Takes-a-Fall-But-Still-Wins-the-Race-378.html
You'll be blessed!

2 comments:

JustJJ said...

I so enjoyed reading this post. Thank you for the encouragement to press on towards the goal cuz! :-)

Bonnie Saavedra said...

Kimmie I love you!