15 October 2012

Staying there...

I have just returned from a Ladies' Retreat for our church. And as much as I loved seeing my kids when I returned, I am tired. ( i know, I just went on a retreat) Cruz is crying in the background, as I try to keep my eyes and brain from dozing.
You see, this moment, it's a bit of a Purgatory for me, if you will. Because I cannot fall asleep with him crying for me during his much-needed nap, 
but I can't stay awake either. 
I am reminded of this poem I am about to share with you.

Now I don't believe it's the healthiest way of getting to the heart of moms, because, mind you, I don't appreciate the whole guilt thing- tugging on the heartstrings, but after you read it, well...You'll see...
YOU'LL MISS WET OATMEAL KISSES
The baby is teething. The children are fighting. Your husband just called and said, "Eat dinner without me."
One of these days you'll explode and shout to the kids, "Why don't you grow up and act your own age?" And they will.
Or: "You guys get outside and find yourselves something to do. And don't slam the door! And they don't.
You'll straighten their bedrooms all neat and tidy, toys displayed on the shelf, hangers in the closet, animals caged.
You'll yell, "Now I want it to stay this way!" And it will.
You will prepare a perfect dinner with a salad that hasn't had all the olives picked out and a cake with no finger traces in the icing and you'll say: "Now this is a meal for company." And you will eat it alone.
No more plastic tablecloths stained with spaghetti. No more dandelion bouquets. No more iron on patches. No more wet, knotted shoelaces, muddy boots or rubber bands for ponytails.
Imagine, a lipstick with a point. No babysitter for New Year's Eve, washing clothes only once a week, no PTA meetings or silly school plays where your child is a tree. No carpools, blaring stereos or forgotten lunch money.
No more Christmas presents made of library paste and toothpicks. No wet oatmeal kisses. No more tooth fairy.
No more giggles in the dark, scraped knees to kiss or sticky fingers to clean. Only a voice asking: "Why don't you grow up?"
And the silence echoes: "I did." 
My Tree
~Author Unknown 

It's a memorable picture. It's message is clear. Stay in the Moment. 
Moms and GrandMama's are always telling us how we'll miss it. How it goes by so fast, and as much as I like to think I am a champion of 
'NOT REGRETTING', I think that some things, many things, might just slip through. 
It won't be like this for long
It has everything to do with the way that I am treating my children in every moment, every day. I may not be missing things with them, but I may not be being my best mom-self either.
In the depths of my heart, my prayer request these days has been Patience. People often stand at the pulpit of our lives, and jest about not asking for patience from the Lord, because He just may teach it to you. But Patience is Love. I want to love my Children so much more out of God's strength than my own. I've been tired. I love how He will do it if we ask. I was reminded of a simple thing today. Too many things taken on, can steal the Joy that is ours.  Friends, Stay in the Moment. Too many things are momentary, not Moments.

Here's an encouragement for you and me. Pray for your family to Grow together. Before you even get out of Bed in the quiet hours of the morning. Grab your Husband's arm while he still sleeps deep, and Pray for him. Pray for your children's character.  He will bless you. He just may change You first.

He is our Joy,

...and no. I don't believe in Purgatory.


Hopie Turns 6!
Justice climbing...
Our Ten Years
Pastor's Wife's Retreat
Cruzie & Addison

No comments: