17 May 2016

Almost Ordinary: How God's Power is Made Perfect in Weakness
{This article has also been published on www.calvarychapel.com }
“…For the Holy Spirit will teach you at that time what needs to be said.” Luke 12:12
It was just another day. We had some friends stop to visit us on their trek through Europe and we began to explore and take them around to look at the usual sights of Budapest. On a very hot and ordinary summer day, just near the Danube River, we came upon the beautiful parliament building. Fighting the heat, we moseyed along, chatting as friends do, as I saw my son and Caleb stopped ahead of us answering a few questions to some passing-by tourists.
I walked up, answering a few questions too, sharing a few traveling tidbits and offered some cost-friendly advice. My daughters and I began to chitchat with these three ladies who were tall, unassumingly cute and friendly, almost causing me to be a bit skeptical of their intentions as to why they inquired so much of my kids. They began dandling my girls' hair and cooing their appearance, wanting to take pictures with them. I soon figured out that was just the practice of their culture, and they were just loving ladies.
As we continued to converse, the one woman had shared that she had met her two other friends in college while in Spain; they were Spanish-born and she was from Denmark. They then began to ask questions about what we were doing in Budapest, so I answered them. But the door swung wide open when they asked why.
Oh, I love WHY.
“Why” is such a rebellious word to say aloud. I identify with the question of “Why.” It’s something that has gotten me into trouble so much in my youth and it has halted all kinds of authority with a pause before answering, though, I've learned to tame it as I’ve matured. Ask it, but communicate well in asking. People have no problem discussing the “Whats” and “Hows.” Those kinds of questions get answered all day long. But “why” has made people stammer.
So because they asked, I felt embolden to share. And after listening, they dug even further and questioned, “Why would you leave your family and everything to tell people about God in a foreign country?” But I sensed their heart was really asking, Why would you trade your life to tell people about God at all?
With my arms wrapped around each one of my daughters' small-framed shoulders, and knowing this would imprint them, I began to unfold the story that my God wrote for me. The story HE turned into a testimony of praise.
When I had a heartbreak that shattered my world, I hit rock-bottom in the deception of drug use and immorality. I shared how I had ran from God my whole life while he stood close waiting as a gentleman. And the moment I cried out, “Save me!” He came into my heart and brought peace into the deepest parts of my grieving heart.
“My ears had heard of you but now my eyes have seen you” (Job 42:5).
They had so many questions, and in that instant it seemed that all the Scriptures I knew bubbled over. But as they spoke, I prayed asking God to bring to my remembrance those verses from His heart. Even though I was unaware of what I would say the moment I began, God's presence was just there. I had no doubt. There is power in His name.
I shared about how we can never be truly satisfied in life chasing after things, since we are created for a relationship with God. We need to know that we are sinners in need of a Savior and we need to ask Him to come into our heart and to live there. That is where we can be satisfied. And one day we will live in eternity with Him.
“The Lord is not slow in keeping His promise, as some understand slowness. Instead He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance” (2 Peter 3:9).
Not knowing when my daughters had walked away with their Dad, I encouraged these ladies that when they do go back to their hotel rooms, and in the quiet moments, to talk to Him. I said, “You need to repent of your sins and ask Him to come into your life so that you can know that you will live in eternity with him.” I wanted to make sure that it was what they truly chose for themselves.
I looked up and thought I saw tears begin to flow from one of the girl's eyes. I touched her shoulder.
"Can I pray for you?" I asked.
And they all agreed.
When I finished, I looked up again and saw tears streaming down from their sun-glassed faces.
My heart raced.
"Do you want to ask Jesus to come into your lives right now?" They all said “Yes” and I bowed my head with them as I led them in the sinner's prayer. And that day, we welcomed three new sisters into God's family. I thought to myself, Move over and make some room!
I wasn't looking to gain sisters that day. But God was. And it humbles me and brings tears to my eyes about how good God is. He makes regular things become extraordinary. When I think back to this moment, I still can't believe that God used me. It was such a God-moment. He made such an ordinary day, incredible.
It reminds me about the Scripture about Apollos and Paul.
“It’s not important who does the planting, or who does the watering. What’s important is that God makes the seed grow” (1 Corinthians 3:7).
I don’t have to worry if I said enough, or if I should have jumped into their suitcase and gone home with them to guide them. GOD WILL GO WITH THEM. He will CONTINUE to water their hearts and make them grow.
“The LORD replied, ‘My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest’” (Exodus 33:14).
I urge you to ask God to do the extraordinary in your life. Be encouraged that He will do His perfect work in us and through us—regardless of us. And furthermore, we are used more when we are made less.
“My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness” (2 Corinthians 12:9).


  • Kimberly Beller is a mom of 4, and the wife of Caleb Beller, the director of Calvary Chapel Bible College Europe located in Vajta, Hungary. Originally from Southern California, her passion is to encourage the hurting heart and point the prodigals back home.
    Family website: www.Bellerlifesong.org
    Kim's Blog: www.KimberlyBeller.com

No comments: