17 May 2016

When Traumatic Moments Meet the Grace of God
{This article has also been published on www.calvarychapel.com }
“Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.” Mark 10:15
My daughter, Hope, and I made our way around the corner to head towards the local sports store in Dunaújváros. We were going out of the usual direction in order to take a bathroom break. Since any adequate grocery shopping takes right under an hour to drive to, my daughter and I decided to take a good part of the day, hand in hand. She was under the weather that day, and I figured it would be a good idea to separate her from the rest of the family.
When we spotted the outdoor trampoline displayed out front, it looked appealing and I knew we could take some time to let a kid be a kid. So we got our things done quickly and headed back outside. She climbed up onto the trampoline, her smile as big as the sky, and began to bounce timidly...then on to Olympian status. It was fun to watch her learn to bounce from her knees back up to her feet! Usually with all of my kids, they have a very limited amount of time to play, since my priority is to keep watch of all of them at one time. But it was a delight to let her go wild for a moment! Other kids arrived and began bouncing too. Joy in Hungarian sounds and looks just like joy in English. Kids with giggles and moms with smiles.
Hope learned a lot of new tricks, one of which was to fall on her tummy and bounce back up to her feet. In one swift moment, I saw her face go from a smile to a look of panic. I can't put it into words how it happened, but as she fell on her tummy for a bounce, another kid powerfully rebounded, ricocheting her.
I saw it all as it happened. It didn't look good. It looked to me as if the lower half of her back inverted and shot into her upper half like a dagger. In a split second I ran up close to gauge the situation. The terror in her eyes added to the words she screamed, "My back! I broke my back, I broke my back!"
Yelling back in disbelief, I grabbed her saying "No, you didn't," with dread in my spirit.
"Yes, I did," she kept on saying through tears of despair. Imagine the terror of a mother's heart, as I dragged her off of the jumping contraption and held her on the ground.
To be honest, one of my first instincts was to get past the fact that I am the only one with her. Even as I have been a mother for over a decade, I am still learning to endure the pain when my husband is not always near.
I held her as she cried aloud.

I SAW IT ALL AS IT HAPPENED. IT DIDN'T LOOK GOOD. IT LOOKED TO ME AS IF THE LOWER HALF OF HER BACK INVERTED AND SHOT INTO HER UPPER HALF LIKE A DAGGER.

“And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, to be with you forever.” John 14:16
Another mom came up, rubbing her back, trying to reassure us both. "It's ok," she whispered over and over in Hungarian. Tears flow down as I remember the love this lady shared at a moment of uncertainty.
I can't tell you that I was strong. I can't tell you that I didn't cry myself. I can't even tell you that I knew what to do.
But Hope did.
With one look into my eyes, she clung to the One she knew well. She knew the answer.
"Mommy, pray!"
It was a moment I can't forget. It has been seared into my heart. I'll never forget the joy I felt in her confidence. We prayed together right then and there. There was power. I felt it. She believed. And it was granted.
After we prayed she stood up immediately...and walked.
I'm reminded of the story of the lame man in John chapter 5 when Jesus saw him lying there by the pool. He knew already that he had been there for a long time and He asked him, "Do you want to be made well?"
One would think he would have answered yes, but he didn't. You can't really blame him though. He'd been lying there for thirty-eight years. Doubt had saturated his mind.
He began to share his inabilities and all of his excuses why it looked impossible for him to get into the pool. But that is not the question Jesus had asked him. Did you catch that? A better translation would be this question, “Do you want to be made whole?" This man was only pleading for help instead of healing.
I look at the story and see a man who answers a lot like me at times. All of the reasons I think up before I ask Him for help. And here with my daughter, she taught me whom to look for. She taught me by her own faith whom to trust.
“When I am afraid, I will trust in You.”
Psalm 56:3
I show Him what I can't do and He says, “Look to Me, put your trust in Me.”

What an encouragement that this man is being asked by the King of kings, the Healer! No matter our circumstances, He is willing to help. Even if we don't know how to ask.
Jesus said to him in verse 8, “Rise, take up your bed and walk.”
I'm rejoicing in her faith today. May the Lord continue to lead our children in strength as they trust in Him. Let us take up our own beds, the beds that we have lain in for far too long, and trust Him in faith to what He is willing and able to do!
“Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:20


  • Kimberly Beller is a mom of 4, and the wife of Caleb Beller, the director of Calvary Chapel Bible College Europe located in Vajta, Hungary. Originally from Southern California, her passion is to encourage the hurting heart and point the prodigals back home.
    Family website: www.Bellerlifesong.org
    Kim's Blog: www.KimberlyBeller.com

AddThis Sharing Buttons

No comments: