17 May 2016

The Key to Becoming a Person of Blessing
{This article is also published on www.calvarychapel.com }

They say that, 'hunger is the best kind of spice,' because you don’t have to think too hard about it. At full stop, anything tastes amazing when you’re hungry. I once ran a marathon and at around the 35th kilometer, I had surpassed a few water stations to save time, only to come to this one. I was thirsty. I picked up a cup, and it tasted like heavenly excellence. Every part of it seemed brand new. Being so greatly thirsty at that point, I couldn’t help but say loudly, “This is Good!”  “ … For out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks” (Luke 6:45). What is in the abundance of your heart, Friend? What unraveled yarn balls could we pull out of us and our daily walk with Jesus? Could we converse of the things He’s done with ease? Is His praise upon our lips?

“…AND AS GOD’S ULTIMATE ‘YES,’ HE ALWAYS DOES WHAT HE SAYS. FOR ALL OF GOD’S PROMISES HAVE BEEN FULFILLED IN CHRIST WITH A RESOUNDING ‘YES!’ AND THROUGH CHRIST, OUR ‘AMEN’…” 2 CORINTHIANS 1:19B-20A


Recently, as the rushed morning landed itself at the breakfast table with my four children, we found ourselves in the book of Genesis, breaking open the story of the tower found in the 11th chapter. We had just painted a rainbow of promise in our imaginations the morning before. It was there when God promised His people that He would never flood the earth again. What an amazing promise! Now it’s not something we as believers fear everyday, that God is going to destroy us, but it sure looks good to see His blessings and goodness! And most importantly, that He does keep His promises.
As time progressed, the people of the ark multiplied, and parents retold that great account of a boat made from a tree in a big, dark sea to their kids, and how God saved the ones who trusted in Him. He is good, and He keeps His word to us. But some, I am sure, began to doubt His promises. The eyes of their hearts grew dim to the joy of His salvation. They chose not to believe. They began to scrutinize with a critical heart. Slowly, they emulated the skeptics outside the boat and thought to themselves, “It isn’t about the promise; It is not wisdom to trust our family’s future to the rainbow.” They began to look to the problems of this world and make decisions in fear and pride. And then passed along the stories of their own hearts, and not the heart of God. They began to exclaim to their friends, “What if we build something with our own hands that we can see and trust? We can claim aloud, ‘It is for the Lord’ that we build as we lay brick-by-brick to the sky.”

“AND THEY SAID, ‘COME, LET US BUILD OURSELVES A CITY, AND A TOWER WHOSE TOP IS IN THE HEAVENS; LET US MAKE A NAME FOR OURSELVES, LEST WE BE SCATTERED ABROAD OVER THE FACE OF THE WHOLE EARTH.’” GENESIS 11:4


It is better to state it plainly. This was made in and through their own strength and glory, and not to magnify the Lord. God intervened for their good, but I am sure they chose not to believe it in that way. When I read about this story, I rediscover how many times I climb this man-made tower in my own life. I can easily be one of the people from the account, handing the bricks to help build something for anything else than my Savior. When merely the Word of God would be sufficient, I can add my own bricks of doubt and mistrust. I do not want to stay there! I want to encourage my children and others of the faithfulness of God and to place their trust in Him alone! Thank God for His Grace. 

DAILY WE PICK UP HIS WORD AND READ OUR NUGGET FOR THE DAY, BUT HOW OFTEN DO WE SPEAK HIS GOODNESS TO OTHERS? THAT IS HOW WE SHOULD OVERFLOW WITH THE BLESSINGS OF THE LORD!

To magnify is to see something greater. I am challenged in my heart to speak to others with the blessings of His character enhanced upon my lips. 

AS THEY MAKE MUSIC, THEY WILL SING, "ALL MY FOUNTAINS ARE IN YOU." PSALM 87:7


Recently, a friend made mention of a picture of us together. She put a hashtag that said: #TheLordForSure. I assume she meant it was the Lord who put us together as friends. But to me, it stood out so much more. Not only did God do a great thing, but He is the secure foundation. HE IS SURE. If all fortresses fall, He is sure to stand. It reminds me of the verse found in 2 Samuel 22:2-3 where it exclaims He is the rightful and true High Tower: “The God of my rock; in him will I trust: he is my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my saviour; thou savest me from violence.”
I want the habit of my heart to not stop at careful construction of what seems perfect timing, but to overflow with who He is! Because of Him, I cannot stop the outpour of His goodness to flow from me; it causes me to encourage others with every part of His character. It is because of His joy that I magnify Him! This is so that His people can be built up. “Let all those who seek You rejoice and be glad in You; Let such as love Your salvation say continually, ‘The Lord be magnified!’”(Psalms 40:16).
What a daily work of the Spirit! I trust Him to do it. Let us speak of Him freely. Let us encourage each other greatly. “The Lord be magnified!”


  • Kimberly Beller is a mom of 4, and the wife of Caleb Beller, the director of Calvary Chapel Bible College Europe located in Vajta, Hungary. Originally from Southern California, her passion is to encourage the hurting heart and point the prodigals back home.
    Family website: www.Bellerlifesong.org
    Kim's Blog: www.KimberlyBeller.com

No comments: